HUMAN RIGHTS TALK “On a Collision Course: Corruption versus Human Rights”
Thursday, 28. April 2022 – 18:00 to 20:30
Online via Zoom + Livestream
The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights, the University of Vienna and the Austrian League for Human Rights in cooperation with Amnesty International Austria cordially invite you to the HUMAN RIGHTS TALK “Auf Kollisionskurs: Korruption versus Menschenrechte” (On Collision Course: Corruption versus Human Rights) on April 28, 2022 at 6 pm, online.
Corruption as an abuse of economic, political and cultural power is diametrically opposed to the realization of human rights. This is because corruption damages and undermines the rule of law, which in turn is a central prerequisite for respect for human rights. Fighting corruption is therefore prominent on the international and national agenda. For example, the UN Sustainable Development Goal 16.5 is to “substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all its forms.” Meanwhile, corruption reached an all-time high in some countries in 2021. In Austria, too, the number and scope of corruption allegations has increased massively in recent years – one of the reasons for the upcoming Rule of Law & Anti-Corruption People’s Initiative.
How exactly does corruption stand in the way of our human rights? When is the red line to criminal behavior crossed? How can the networks and entanglements on which corruption is based be broken, and what role does the media play as an exposer? And how can a human rights-based approach support the fight against corruption? In a “Human Rights Talk”, high-ranking experts will discuss what civil society and the rule of law can and must contribute to preventing corruption. The audience is cordially invited to participate in the debate.
To participate in the Zoom webinar, please register via this link: Webinar Registration – Zoom
By participating in the Zoom webinar, you will be able to ask questions in the chat.
[Note: When participating via Zoom webinar, the data protection regulations of Zoom apply.]
Participation via live stream on Facebook (facebook.com/LBI.Menschenrechte) is possible without registration.
The event will be held in German. The keynote speech by Mr. Olaniyan is in English.
PROGRAMME (Subject to change)
- Barbara Helige, President, Österreichische Liga für Menschenrechte
Keynote (in English, no German translation)
- Kolawole Olaniyan, Legal advisor and anti-corruption expert, International Secretariat, Amnesty International
- Simon Kravagna, Managing Director, Forum for Journailsm and Media, Founder and Publisher, Magazin “das biber” (to be confirmed)
- Martin Kreutner, International Counsel; Dean Emeritus, International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA); Proponent of the anti-corruption people’s initiative
- Ina Kubbe, Lecturer, School of Political Science, Government and International Relations at Tel Aviv University (TAU), Founding member of the Interdisciplinary Corruption Research Network (ICRN)
- Ilse-Maria Vrabl-Sanda, Head, Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office against Corruption
from 19:20 hrs
- Susanne Schnabl, Journalist and TV host, The Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF)